Important Documents

Requests Under the Public Information Act

About the Texas Public Information Act

Per Chapter 552 of the Texas Government Code, the Texas Public Information Act (the “Act”) requires governmental agencies to make documents and information available to the public by means of hard copies, USB flash drive, CD, scanned documents sent via email, that are held by or for a governmental body if it owns or has a right of access to the information, except for information that the Act exempts or prohibits from disclosure.Requests submitted under Public Information Act are handled by the City Secretary. 

All requests should include enough description and detail about the information requested to enable the City to accurately identify and locate the information requested. Requests may be submitted in writing:

  1. In person (at City Hall, 900 Saddletree Court, Shavano Park, Texas),
  2. Online - Request Form,
  3. By mail (City of Shavano Park ATTN: City Secretary, 900 Saddletree Court, Shavano Park, Texas 78231),
  4. By Fax: 210-492-3816, or
  5. By E-mail
Per the Act, the City has ten (10) business days in which to complete one of the following:
  • Respond to the request;
  • Let the requester know when we can respond to the request;
  • Request clarification from a requester; or
  • Send a request for a ruling to withhold from the Attorney General’s Office. 
**City Holidays and weekends are not included within allotted the ten day period and we cannot expedite requests

The City of Shavano Park provides a large amount of information on our website for the public to access without having to obtain an open records request. The City is not obligated to release records that are readily available on our website. We also do not answer questions posed in an open records request. The Act only allows the public to request documents that exist at the time of their request.The City of Shavano Park does not handle Vital Statistic Records (i.e., marriage, birth, and death certificates) and you will need to contact the County Clerk or the State of Texas for those records.