Shavano Park Police Department Employment Opportunities
Full Job Description
POLICE EMPLOYMENT PROCEDURE
Thank you for your interest in employment with the City of Shavano Park. The Shavano Park Police Department strives to obtain the best law-enforcement officers possible to help achieve the department's policing goals. This section of the web site explains the procedures that are required of all applicants and the selection process that will occur after the position closes.
All personnel who participate in screening and hiring applicants shall be guided by fairness, equal opportunity, and consistency during all selection and hiring processes. The City of Shavano Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR SWORN EMPLOYMENT
The applicant must complete the following:
- Complete a City of Shavano Park employment application and submit it to the Human Resources Director. If basic qualifications appear to be met and an opening exist, the Human Resources Director will forward the application to the Police Department.
- Applicants who meet the basic qualifications will be provided a Personal History Statement to be completed and submitted to the Police Department. Qualified applicants are invited to participate in an assessment center to evaluate each candidate on a multitude of skills and abilities to perform essential job functions.
- For applicants who participate in the assessment center and are being further considered for employment, a background investigation will be conducted. The Chief of Police, based on the number of open positions, will determine how many applicants proceed to the background investigation phase.
- A comprehensive background investigation is conducted which includes, but not limited to the following: (a) Personal and family history; (b) Education, including all schools attended and degrees or certificates obtained; (c) Residence history for the past ten years; (d) Employment history and experience; (e) Military experience, if any; (f) Law enforcement experience, if any; (g) Financial history; (h) Legal and criminal history; (i) Undetected acts; (j) Traffic summonses and crashes; and (k) Social media accounts and activity.
- Upon completion of the background investigation(s), all application packages are thoroughly reviewed. After it is determined that all processes have been properly completed, the application packages are forwarded to the Chief of Police with a list of applicants to be considered for employment.
- If an applicant is selected by the Chief of Police, he or she will issue the candidate a Conditional Offer of Employment. The offer of employment is conditional upon passing: (a) A physical and drug screen examination; (b) A psychological assessment examination by a qualified psychologist or psychiatrist holding a TCOLE license; (c) A firearms proficiency qualification range using the Department duty-weapon.
- If the individual receives final approval for hire by the City Manager, the Chief of Police or designee will make all the necessary arrangements for processing a new employee. If the individual is not approved, a letter will be sent to the applicant advising him or her that the Conditional Offer of Employment has been withdrawn and the reason stated plainly.
- Applicants who are not chosen for employment and do not have permanent disqualifiers may be considered for future employment if a vacancy exist.