At the July 25, 2022 City Council directed the Planning & Zoning Commission to review the City’s current Comprehensive Plan, the 2018 Town Plan, and after public hearings, return to Council with proposed amendments for 2023 and future years. The purpose of the Town Plan is to proactively anticipate and set the foundation for future improvements for our community. The Town Plan was developed in 2010, updated in 2018 and an update is needed again to define the future goals and direction for the city. Many of the items identified in the 2018 plan have been or are in the process of being completed.
As with any plan, it is important to periodically review and update. This review process provides a deliberate and structured way to think about choices and the opportunity to create a future vision for our community. As a formal city document, this Town Plan is needed to establish a collective vision for the future and provide strategic direction. Planning & Zoning Commission has already started their work!
The Town Plan sets forth general issues and action steps stating our collective vision for the future while providing a foundation for our City’s long-term growth and development over the next five years. This vision includes the focus areas of Commercial Development; Community Engagement; Public Infrastructure; Municipal Talent Management and Retention, and Long-term City Finances along with many other topics.
The Planning and Zoning Commission has initiated the process under the leadership of the Chairman during each regularly scheduled Planning and Zoning meetings the first Wednesday of each month. During each meeting, there will be planned public hearings on the selected focus area in order to provide opportunities for residents to give input. In addition look out for digital surveys being sent out asking for your input on each topic in the Town Plan. The schedule for the upcoming Town Plan public hearings are as follows:
- Wednesday, November 2, 2022 @ 6:30PM - Commercial Development
- Participate in the Town Plan by completing the Commercial Development survey - LINK
- Public Hearing was held, but you can still submit feedback at the link above.
- Wednesday, December 7, 2022 @ 6:30PM - Community Engagement
- Participate in the Town Plan by completing the Community Engagement survey - LINK
- Participate in the public hearing remotely. Dial in the night of the meeting using phone 1-833-548-0282 and use meeting ID: 850-3804-5439.
- More public hearings and surveys to be announced in coming months!
Completed Public Hearings
- November 2, 2022, Public Hearing - Commercial Development
- September 7, 2022, Public Hearing - Vision, Goals, and City Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats